Chronic pain and injuries are a major disruption to your daily activities. Fortunately, there are many pain treatment options that can alleviate your discomfort. One such treatment is shockwave therapy, which has been in use since the late 1980s.
It’s used around the world in orthopedics, podiatry, sports medicine, urology, and physiotherapy. But what is shockwave therapy, how does it work, and what conditions can it treat? Keep reading for answers.
What Is Shockwave Therapy?
Also known as extracorporeal or radial shockwave therapy, shockwave therapy is often used for painful joints and muscles. It was initially developed as a non-invasive treatment for kidney stones. Now shockwave therapy treats musculoskeletal conditions like Achilles tendinopathy and plantar fasciitis.
Shockwave therapy is mainly used for pain management and muscle restoration. The fact that it’s non-invasive and doesn’t require painkillers makes it an ideal treatment to accelerate recovery and cure various conditions that cause chronic pain.
Other benefits of shockwave therapy for pain relief include:
- Fast and effective
- Safe with minimal side effects
- Clinically proven pain treatment
- Speedy recovery
How Does Shockwave Therapy Work?
Shockwave therapy uses high-energy acoustic waves to penetrate tissues and target injured areas. This promotes regeneration and reparative processes in the soft tissues. As a result, you get:
- Reduced chronic inflammation: The acoustic waves reduces the activity of mast cells which cause the inflammatory process
- Dissolution of calcified fibroblasts: Shockwave therapy can help break up the calcifications triggered by tendon trauma
- Formation of new blood vessels: This improves blood circulation and oxygen supply in the treated area, accelerating recovery
- Lower Substance P levels: Shockwave therapy relays pain messages to the central nervous system and prevents the formation of inflammatory edema
- Collagen formation: New collagen helps tendon fibres become stiffer and denser, resulting in a firmer structure
What Conditions Can Shockwave Therapy Treat?
Shockwave therapy is one of the best non-invasive pain solutions for several conditions. Some of the common ones include:
- Plantar Fasciitis
- Achilles Tendinopathy
- Tennis elbow
- Golfers elbow
- Any form of tendonitis or tendinosis
- Jumper’s knee
- Chronic muscle pain
- Calcific tendonitis
Shockwave therapy can provide pain relief with nearly 70% efficiency in five treatments.
Shockwave Therapy in Victoria, BC: Schedule an Appointment
We take great pride in providing cutting-edge treatment options for pain relief. We believe in living pain-free and help you achieve that goal through shockwave therapy.
Schedule an appointment now for shockwave therapy at Synergy Health Centre in Victoria, BC. We are looking forward to helping you find quick pain relief in a natural and safe way.