Chiropractic Treatment at Synergy Health Centre: Healthy Aging for all Canadians
In Canada, the average life expectancy is increasing and is reported as 80 for males and 84 for females; however, are Canadians living full, active and healthy lives as they age? In reality, active living is crucial for healthy aging, maintenance of quality of life and independence. Preserving fitness and mobility can help prevent and manage chronic conditions that too frequently impact seniors. In fact, Chiropractic treatments at Synergy Health Centre can help Canadians remain active and healthy as they age.
Chiropractic Treatment for seniors at Synergy Health Centre
Chiropractic treatment can help aging Canadians maintain a pain-free and healthy life by providing relief from musculoskeletal (MSK) conditions, including back pain. Chiropractic care is especially important for maturing and elderly adults because of the dramatic changes that occur in the spine with increasing age. As we age, spinal discs, joints, ligaments, muscles and other spinal tissues become weaker, less hydrated, more fibrous, and less able to withstand normal strain. As a result, back pain from spinal degeneration (arthritis) becomes more prominent, soft tissues increase as the body is more vulnerable to injury. As the time to heal from injury increases as we age, minimizing risk and optimizing overall health and wellness becomes even more important.
Modern chiropractic procedures at Synergy Health Centre take into consideration the nature of the aging spine and the many abnormalities present to provide an effective, safe and non-invasive treatment plan. Through the use of 21st century gentle adjusting techniques at Synergy Health Centre, physical therapies, and incorporation of stretching and exercise programs spinal pain is reduced, spinal stresses are decreased, flexibility and mobility are improved, and degeneration is minimized.
MSK Conditions in Aging Canadians by the Numbers
- 1% of Canadians 65 and over state they have been diagnosed with arthritis or rheumatism
- 25% or more elderly Canadians have some daily life activities limited by MSK pain
- 50% of worldwide chronic conditions in people 60 or over are joint diseases
- 25% of people 60 and over worldwide suffer significant pain and disability from osteoarthritis
Aging Populations are more Likely to Suffer From:
- Osteoarthritis – deteriorating cartilage in the joints
- Spinal stenosis – narrowing of the canal in the vertebrae impinging on the nerve roots causing pain and numbness
- Degenerative meniscal tear
- Repetitive strain injuries
- Osteoporosis – a disease characterized by low bone mass and deterioration of bone tissue
Did You Know?
According to the Public Health Agency of Canada, “Falls are the leading cause of injury among older Canadians with 1 in 3 seniors experiencing one or more falls each year”. As we age we are generally more susceptible to develop injuries, aches and pain. Synergy Health Centre chiropractors are committed to helping Canadians live healthy lives by reducing the risk of falls, injury and disability. Our Chiropractors can help in testing your strength, mobility, function and balance, as well as advise on exercise, nutrition and preventative strategies.
Quality of Life
MSK pain can affect almost every aspect of life including compromised mobility, independent living, difficulty in daily activities, and disturbed sleep patterns. The impact of these can be more profound among aging Canadians, which can complicate day-to-day life. In fact, chronic pain has been associated with disability and even depression.
Promptly addressing the root of the issue is essential. Synergy Health Centre chiropractors can help assess, diagnose, manage and even prevent MSK conditions. Through a variety of non-invasive, gentle, hands-on therapies, including conservative manual therapies, modalities, exercise and rehabilitation and lifestyle counseling, chiropractors at Synergy Health Centre can help reduce pain, restore mobility and increase quality of life in older patients. Daily exercise can produce remarkable outcomes in even the very elderly. Building strength also improves balance and coordination, which are essential in preventing falls.
How can our Experts at Synergy Health Centre Help You?
- Pain relief from neck, spine, and joint pain
- Increase mobility and range of motion
- Decrease in muscle stiffness, spasms and rigidity
- Straighter, aligned posture
- Increase balance and coordination
- Reduce risk of fall injuries
- Decrease tissues inflammation
- Decrease arthritis and arthritic joint pain
A Study: Comparing Chiropractic Patients and Non-Chiropractic Senior Patients
A 2013 study that compared chiropractic patients and non-chiropractic patients aged 75 and up showed:
- 87% of chiropractic patients 75 years or older described their heath as good to excellent. Only 67% of non-chiropractic patients said the same.
- The chiropractic patients exercised more regularly and had fuller social lives. They were also less likely to use prescription drugs.
- Chiropractic patients reported:
- Fewer chronic conditions by 15%
- Fewer symptoms of arthritis by 22%
- Less time in nursing homes by 15%
- Less time in hospitals in the last three years by 21%
Help is Available at Synergy Health Centre! Let’s help you live a Full, Healthy and Active Life as you Age
Sometimes the hardest part of managing MSK conditions is seeking chiropractic care. Often, we fail to ask for help to avoid burdening family, friends and caregivers. But, in many cases, Canadians may have simply resigned themselves to live in pain because they think it is a natural part of aging. However, help is available at Synergy Health Centre.
Click here to book your first appointment at Synergy Health Centre today.
https://www.chiropractic.ca/blog/chiropractic-treatment-for-aging-canadians/ Canadian Chiropractic Association
https://www.chiropractic.ca/about-chiropractic/how-our-experts-can-help/chiropractic-treatment-for-everyone/seniors/ Canadian Chiropractic Assocation
https://cdpc.info/fr/blog/treat-aging-with-chiropractic-treatment.html Canadian Decompression and Pain Centres
https://www.surreywellness.com/tag/chiropractic-for-seniors/ Surrey Wellness