Canadians love food but when it comes to nutrition, we’re a bit fuzzy – minerals, vitamins, calories, sugars, salts, and fats – all add to the confusion. While diets and food preferences may differ from person to person, good health should not and while medical professionals may have different views on many things, they all agree that healthcare should focus on the entire person and for this reason, many doctors of chiropractic recommend dietary and exercise programs to their patients who want to experience total well-being.
Did you know that good nutrition is an important complement to chiropractic care? For this reason, many Chiropractors suggest that their patients add nutrition to their wellness package.
Synergy Health Management’s chiropractors, personal trainers, physiotherapists and our many other practitioners have cultivated a collaborative environment that includes Holistic Nutrition to help you balance your specific health and balanced lifestyle needs. A Holistic Nutritionist can help guide you with time and stress management techniques, label reading, food fundamentals, meal plans, detoxing, digestive health, weight loss, and supplements. Nutritional counseling combined with customized chiropractic care can address a wide range of issues.
An article in the Journal of Chiropractic Medicine (2007, Winter, 6(1): 27–31) outlining a survey of New York Chiropractors on the value of nutritional counseling showed that 80 percent of the respondents used some form of counseling in their practices to treat a variety of chronic disorders, such as obesity, diabetes, coronary artery disease, and conditions affecting the musculoskeletal system.
The Canadian Chiropractic Association notes that “chiropractors are trained to provide dietary, nutritional, lifestyle, and therapeutic exercise counseling to address specific patient complaints and to enhance overall health.”
Good nutrition is about nourishing the body from within, and reducing your risk for illness and injury. There are numerous direct correlations between nutrition and recovery as well, including:
- Good nutrition supports injury rehabilitation – a diet rich in antioxidants and lean protein helps combat internal inflammation and provide your body with the building blocks for repairing cellular damage.
- Good nutrition can reduce back and other joint pain – extra weight places additional strain on the musculoskeletal system, losing weight through nutrition will relieve this extra pressure on the spine or joints and naturally reduce back pain.
- Good nutrition can increase energy and reduce fatigue – processed foods, preservatives, and added sugars leave us feeling constantly exhausted, irritable, and fatigued. Simple dietary changes can make a significant difference for your overall health.
Fun food facts, did you know:
- A craving for sweets may be the result of a vitamin C deficiency.
- Greek yogurt is an excellent source of vitamin D.
- Fresh spinach can boost your immunity and reduce your risk of some cancers.
- Garlic is filled with powerful antioxidants and can improve your immune system.
If you have questions about nutrition and your health, want to better your range of motion, lose weight, or simply improve your overall wellness, contact Synergy Health Centre in Victoria at 250-727-3737 today and start realising the benefit from the combined knowledge of our practitioners.